Day One – Main Conference – 21 August 2018
8:40 Registration, morning coffee and tea
8:50 Opening remarks from the chair: Dr Bridie O’Donnell, Head – Office for Women in Sport and Recreation, Department of Health & Human Services Victoria
Culture and Leadership
9:00am: KEYNOTE: Levelling the playing field: Pushing equality further with sport
- Ensuring women are involved in all aspects of sport from boardroom to sports ground
- How women in sport add financial value to all codes
- Applying business transformation principles to the sporting arena
- What is the model of best practice in leading diversity?
Marne Fechner, Chief Executive Officer, Netball Australia
9:40am: KEYNOTE: Driving growth in women’s sport over the next 5 years
- Developing and achieving clear action points for success
- Improving on the foundations already laid:
- Extending seasons
- Boosting regional reach
- Optimising broadcast distribution
- Ensuring a whole-of-business commitment to continuing reinvestment
- Taking lessons from successful expansions of supporter base
Nicole Livingstone, Head of Women’s Football, Australian Football League
10:20pm: CASE STUDY: Making women’s engagement is an organisation-wide priority
- Setting the course for transparency, accountability and respect in female engagement
- Championing an organisational mindset of pure equality
- Leveraging public accountability to ensure progress is made
- Implementing change management principles to drive female engagement
Sarah Styles, Head of Female Engagement, Cricket Australia
11:00am Morning Tea
11:20am: PANEL DISCUSSION: How do we realise true equality in sport?
- Towards 50/50: What can we learn from each other?
- What are the metrics of success?
- Audience numbers?
- Financial gain?
- Grassroots participation?
- What can we do now to realise the vision?
Marina Go, Chair, Wests Tigers Football Club
Stephen Pitt, Chief Executive Officer, Golf Australia
Ian Robson, Chief Executive Officer, Rowing Australia
Keith Bradshaw, Chief Executive Officer, South Australian Cricket Association
David Matthews, Chief Executive Officer, GWS Giants Football Club
12:20pm: KEYNOTE: Championing diversity through Rugby
- Leveraging Olympic success to drive reinvestment:
- Creating elite opportunities for full-time teams
- Capitalising on growing interest in women’s sport to grow audiences further
- Changing rugby’s perception from a ‘schoolboy’ game to engage a wider audience
*Pending approval* Raelene Castle, Chief Executive Officer, Rugby Australia
1:40pm: KEYNOTE: Ensuring equal opportunity in professional sport
- Determining the optimal level of funding to drive growth and retain audiences
- Driving an organisational culture of equality
- What sport can teach wider industry, and what industry can teach sport
Jeremy Loeliger, Chief Executive Officer, National Basketball League
Growth through Commercialisation
2:20pm: PANEL DISCUSSION: Making women’s sport good business
- What is the most successful model for commercialising women’s sport?
- What can different codes learn from each other?
- How are audiences consuming women’s sport?
- Are brands looking at women’s sport differently?
Josephine Sukkar AM, President, Australian Women’s Rugby, Rugby Australia
Mike Anderson, Chief Operating Officer, Netball NSW (GM – GIANTS Netball)
Bronwyn KIei, General Manager, Adelaide Strikers
Danny Townsend, Chief Executive Officer, Sydney FC
3:20pm: PANEL DISCUSSION: How do we optimise resourcing between men’s and women’s teams?
- How do we go about promoting each team equally when sponsors historically invest more in men’s teams?
- When and why should we implement an aggregated model for sponsorship?
- What is the best way to balance marketing, communications and digital investment between teams?
Scott Munn, Chief Executive Officer, Melbourne City Football Club
Stuart Coventry, Chief Executive Officer, Melbourne Renegades
Andrew Abdo, Chief Commercial Officer, National Rugby League
4:00pm Afternoon Tea
4:20pm: CASE STUDY: Commercialising women’s sport
- Capitalising on the growing interest in women’s leagues
- Engaging decision-makers with a sound business case
- Making money with money: Optimising reinvestment through capital gain
- Leveraging sponsorship to grow your target market
David Pourre, Chief Executive Officer, Brisbane Roar
5:00pm: CASE STUDY: Navigating competition between codes
- Maintaining commercial engagement while other new codes are launching
- Retaining audiences in an increasingly competitive women’s sport market
- Building single-sport loyalty despite players switching codes
Catherine Clark, Chief Executive Officer, Netball Queensland
5:40pm: Networking Cocktail Function
End of day one