Opportunities and Market Growth
9:00am: OPENING KEYNOTE: Esports 101: Comprehending an exploding industry
- “Not just gaming”: Defining esports as a specific phenomenon
- The evolution and impact of esports in the global economy
- How Australia is travelling in the global esports revolution?
- Outlining the ecosystem:
- Who are the main stakeholders?
- Which publishers are involved?
- How are leagues, tournaments and events being run?
David Harris, Managing Director, Guinevere Capital
9:50am: KEYNOTE: Navigating commercialisation opportunities for esports
- Determining which industries have the best opportunity in esports
- Pinpointing where your investment will have the greatest impact:
- Live events
- What esports organisations and investors need to do to work together
- The crucial role of social media and influencers in esports success
Scott Russell, General Manager, Hoyts Esports
10:40am: Morning tea
Commercialisation and ROI
11:00am: CASE STUDY: Harnessing the esports spectacle through live events
- Navigating the most successful formats for live events
- Determining optimal numbers for both attendance and live streams
- Selecting the best game for live spectating
- Engaging the audience without typecasting
Tim McGregor, Managing Director, TEG Live
11:50am: CASE STUDY: OVO Mobile’s move into esports broadcasting
- Who is ovo and what is our strategy as telco / OTT broadcaster?
- Our sports portfolio and how we are leveraging AI to drive fan engagement
- Why we invested in esports, results so far and what we expect in the future
Matt Jones, Chief Executive Officer, OVO Mobile
12:40 pm Lunch
1:40pm: PANEL DISCUSSION: How are brands approaching esports?
- Why are brands so interested in esports?
- What brand activations are succeeding in esports?
- How can brands target their consumers within esports?
- What metrics are available for brand investment in esports?
Nathan Reay, Group Executive: Head of M&A, Strategy & Partnerships, Nova Entertainment
Russ Prendergast, Head of Brand, LG Australia
Darryn Wallace, Director of Marketing and Innovation: Dairy and Drinks, Lion
2:30pm: CASE STUDY: The realities and logistics of esports commercialisation
- Breaking down current and future revenue models for esports investment
- Understanding the costs involved in esports investment and scaling appropriately
- Ensuring a sustainable investment by understanding esports orgs and the people who run them
- What can orgs and investors do to mitigate the risks of esports investment?
Chris Smith, Founder and Director, BIG Esports
3:20pm Afternoon tea
The Esports Scene
3:40pm: PANEL DISCUSSION: What have the clubs learned so far?
- What have been the biggest challenges to date?
- How do you manage player reputation in an anonymous environment?
- What are the best strategies for retaining talent?
- How are you managing changing expectations in player salaries?
- Does increased investment change your organisation, its people and its values?
- What does the next 5 years hold?
Chris Derrick, Chief Executive Officer, Order Esports
Frank Li, Chief Executive Officer, Chiefs Esports
Nash Hawnt, Chief Executive Officer, Justice Esports
Wesley Collier, CEO, AVANT Gaming *PENDING CONFIRMATION*
4:30pm: CASE STUDY: Cultivating a robust governance framework for the industry
- An overview of the current governance landscape
- What an appropriate and accountable governance framework would look like
- The role of publishers in esports governance
- Ensuring a central esports body reaches all stakeholders
Gavin Macdonald, Director Strategy and Innovation, Sport Australia
5:20pm: End of day one & networking drinks